Thursday, August 18, 2011

Confessions of a homemaker


I thought it was about time that I did another blog post and as I was rearranging my furniture today (seriously, that is the ONLY way to truly enjoy cleaning!) I decided I should uncover my little secret. It's not a terrible one, and I'm sure many a wise wife has done something similar, but if you are newer to marriage or just haven't thought of this on your own.. I'm here to help. ;]

I don't know if this is a "guy thing" in general, but I do know that my husband isn't the only guy to come home after work and dump the mail and his shoes and computer and whatever else in a pile. A lot of guys like to organize and "clean up" with the "pile method" -- dunt dunt DUNNN!

Yes, to the average guy or even anyone that isn't home all the time the picture below probably doesn't look too bad.
The pile and filing cabinet above is what is there during the day though.. there's more stuff that gets added to this when my husband gets home from work. I used to let things like this annoy me until I figured out a little thing that has helped us both.

Some of you have large enough houses to give your husband an "office" or something of that nature, but my 1,037 square ft apartment with five people in it and all the homeschooling and projects and so on, well.. it's just hard to make a space for my husbands stuff and keep everything looking nice.

Enter the screen.
TA DA! How nice does this look? We are both happy because he gets his little pile and when he first walks into the house he goes straight to there, moves the screen back, and dumps his stuff. If he hangs a belt or a shirt over the screen (as has been known to happen) I can happily remove them from said screen and throw them on the pile too.

Out of sight out of mind.

And marital harmony flourishes. :}

No comments: