Sunday, April 06, 2008

Sleeping like a baby

Who ever made up that saying probably meant that babies can sleep anywhere? Because they don't usually sleep for long periods of time (and indeed shouldn't at a young age as it can actually be dangerous for them to not wake up every 2 to 4 hours or so.) I'm writing this because I'm so excited about how Lily is sleeping lately! The "No Cry Sleep Solution" book was really great and gave me so many ideas to help her sleep. She is now old enough to were she understands more and doesn't get as scared of the dark or being by herself. Renna is just like how Lily was at her age (one month) and wants to fall asleep nursing and in fact, if I let her, wouldn't let go on her own until she had been nursing for an hour at least and fell into a deep coma sleep. As she is my second though I had a few ideas to help her learn to fall asleep on her own and so far she is doing really well!

We went to National Treasure 2 tonight and Renna slept the whole time (just waking a couple time to nurse and go back to sleep), and Lily cuddled and ate popcorn. It was really nice. I think it's a lot easier going from one kid to two kids rather than from none to one. When Lily was born I was just going with my instincts, which was good for the most part, but then when I'd get advise or wonder how I could make things easier in different ways... I didn't know what advise I should follow and it made our lives quite complicated. Lily is doing SO good sleeping in her own room and Renna has been starting to learn that she can go to sleep many different ways and sometimes I can calmly tell her to close her eyes and go to sleep and she will! How great is that?! It's so much easier to start a habit than to break one isn't it?


Renna hasn't gotten into a regular nap routine yet. She's getting there and when she's having more awake times then I'll start doing even more to help her go to sleep on her own with regular naps and so forth. I really like having two girls! It will be fun to see them play together when Renna is older, but I'm really enjoying the newborn stage and don't want her to grow up too fast.


Well, Lily went to sleep really fast tonight and Renna is almost asleep (she keeps thinking that she needs to nurse and I'll give her just a little bit because I want her to know that it's available, but she doesn't need it to go to sleep and she's getting it!) I'm going to lay her in her bed so that she knows where she is before going to sleep so that she'll sleep longer.

And thus... they will each be in their own beds! At least for most of the night. ;)

1 comment:

Daniel and Natalie said...

Great pictures and great to hear about those sleeping babies. Its also very good to hear that the shift to two was easier than one! I have hope! I'll call you soon. Are you on just the house phone yet?